Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Journey Begins

I came back from Kentucky with just a half bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon. But having been exposed to the concept of 'Fine' Bourbon, I had a strong desire to try as many Bourbons as possible. Like most people, my time and funds are limited, so this journey will be marathon rather than a sprint. My first purchase of good Bourbon was a bottle of Knob Creek, which is the best selling premium Bourbon from Jim Beam. Having been a long time Jim Beam 'White' drinker, I just have an affinity for the Jim Beam product. Shortly thereafter, I acquired a bottle of Woodford Reserve, Evan Williams Single Barrel 1998, and Jameson Irish Whisky. Thus, the beginning of my humble whiskey collection:

At this point, the reader might be expecting a review of the Bourbons I have tried thus far. Frankly, my tasting skills and experience limit me to only telling you what I like and what I don't, but not exactly why. I am sure that later I will be providing detailed tasting notes as I try new whiskeys. However, one tasting skill that came quickly to me is the difference between aged, premium Bourbon and younger, inexpensive Bourbon. One of my first side-by-side taste tests was my old standard Jim Beam White and Buffalo Trace. The difference is significant, even to an inexperience taster. I don't think I will ever drink the White Label again, except for maybe as a mixer. However, when I have tasted Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek together, the difference is difficult for me to discern. They are both about the same age and have a similar taste, at least to me. More practice is required!

No comments:

Post a Comment