Monday, May 18, 2009

Blitz makes bourbon history..

....just a little bit. A while ago I went on the Knob Creek web site to take a look around. I had to register and become a member. One of the features was something called "Bernie Lubbers" label reading quiz. It was six questions related to contents of a bourbon label. I got one question wrong. The question was:
True or False: Kentucky is the only state allowed to put its name on a bourbon label.

I said False, but on the quiz explanations page it stated that: "Although bourbon can be made in any state, Kentucky is the only state allowed to put its name on a bourbon bottle." My contention was that this statement was not true. The bourbon "Virginia Gentleman" is an example. I emailed all of the "Whiskey Professors" at Jim Beam to ask for a legal reference to their claim. I was contacted by Knob Creek customer service and told that there was a problem with the web site. I said 'no, there's a problem with the question'. They continued to insist that it was a web site question and that they were looking into it. All the while, I posted the same question on a thread on the Straightbourbon.com website. I will post a link to that thread at the end of this post. No skipping!! After a while, they just changed the true/false part of the quiz, but did not change the answer explanation. So, even if you got the question right, it gave you an explanation that contradicted the answer. I continued to email the company to get it fixed.

Eventually, one of the 'Whiskey professors' emailed me and admitted that the statement on the web site was false. They changed the quiz answer explanation finally, and sent me a complimentary "Knob Creek" aluminum drink mixer.

Bottom line, the giant Jim Beam Brands company had to change their "Whiskey Professors" website because of little old Blitz. Maybe I should be the next 'Whiskey Professor'.

Link to Straightbourbon.com thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment